Join us for an exclusive and intimate event where you will hear about taking your career to the next level from EVP & Chief HR Officer, Karen Bennett of Cox Communications. Karen will walk you through navigating the challenges of driving continual growth in our rapidly evolving industry!
The NAMIC Virginia Chapter Kick-Off was THE place to be on 9/13/2017 for Communications, Media, and Entertainment Professionals and what a celebration it was!! We are proud of all that has been accomplish on our journey to establishing our chapter in the Hampton Roads and Richmond areas.
Special thanks go out to our Sponsors, Cox Communications and Revolt TV for playing a major part in making this event possible. We would also like the thank our Steering Committee members, Advisory Board, and vendors for their investment of time and energy into the logistics of this event. Don’t miss the next NAMIC Virginia event!
NAMIC Virginia is making moves and we want YOU to be a part of it. To join: www.NamicVirginia.com/join
On September 7th, 2017, NAMIC Leaders, Tanika Fagan, Vonya Alleyne and Lakysha Laing were welcomed to the ODU Dream Maker show to discuss our growing chapter!! As we look to grow our student membership, NAMIC VA is very excited to capitalize on opportunities such as this to get in front of the student population to discuss this great opportunity for professional development, networking and mentoring with NAMIC Virginia!!
To watch the interview click here: ODU Dream Makers Show Interview
NEW YORK, Aug. 8, 2017 /PRNewswire/ — The National Association for Multi-Ethnicity in Communications (NAMIC), the premier organization focusing on cultural diversity in the communications industry, is expanding its national footprint with the installation of two new chapters – NAMIC-Virginia and NAMIC-Detroit. The chapters will be led by Vonya Alleyne, vice president, human resources, Cox Communications, Virginia Region, and Mikel D. Slater, vice president, human resources, Comcast, respectively.
“With a membership of more than 3,500 professionals across 18 chapters nationwide, we are dedicated to driving and developing a pipeline of diverse talent,” said Eglon E. Simons, NAMIC president and CEO. “Our chapter additions in Virginia and Detroit reaffirm our mission to educate, advocate and empower for multi-ethnic diversity in the workplace.”
Incorporated on May 31, 2017, NAMIC-Virginia will provide events and programs for communications industry professionals located in the Hampton Roads and Richmond markets, including Portsmouth, Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Suffolk, Hampton, Williamsburg and Newport News. The chapter is also committed to engaging local universities, technical community colleges and local media companies, as well as offering leadership, business and strategic development opportunities to its membership. More information is available on the chapter’s website at namicvirginia.com and LinkedIn, as well as @NAMICVirginia on Facebook, and @namic_va on Twitter and Instagram.
NAMIC-Virginia’s inaugural executive leadership team and advisory council comprise a diverse team of leaders with 100+ years of collective professional experience:
NAMIC-Virginia: Executive Leadership Team
- President: Vonya Alleyne, VP, Human Resources, Cox Communications, Virginia Region
- Vice President: Lakysha Laing, Director, Customer Care, Cox Communications, Virginia Region
- Secretary: Shinese Collins, Sr. Manager, Marketing, Cox Communications, Virginia Region
- Treasurer: Kenneth Rand, Business Manager, Cox Communications, Virginia Region
- Project Manager: Lakiesha Jones, Project Manager II, Cox Communications, Virginia Region
NAMIC-Virginia: Advisory Council
- Stephanie Dewald, VP, Sales Centers, Cox Communications, Virginia Region
- Ramcess Jean-Louis, Director of Workforce Diversity and Inclusion, Comcast
- JD Myers, SVP and Region Manager, Cox Communications, Virginia Region
- Kimberly Voxland, Director of Public Relations and Office Operations, Virginia Cable Telecommunications Association
NAMIC-Detroit was incorporated on June 12, 2017. The chapter is dedicated to providing innovative professional and leadership development programs and initiatives, and establishing mentoring and professional networking opportunities to the Detroit area. NAMIC-Detroit will also educate, develop, empower and advocate for communication industry professionals and entrepreneurs. Additional chapter information is available on NAMIC’s website at namic.com/membership/detroit/. (NAMIC-Detroit website/social media channels coming soon.)
NAMIC-Detroit’s inaugural executive leadership team and advisory council include the following industry professionals:
NAMIC-Detroit: Executive Leadership Team
- President: Mikel Slater, VP of Human Resources, Comcast
- Vice President: Mark S. Lee, President & CEO, The LEE Group LLC
- Secretary: Jackie Underwood, Sr. Director of Human Resources, Comcast Heartland Region
- Treasurer: Abhijeet Kumar, Manager of Product Sales Support and Analysis, Comcast Heartland Region
NAMIC-Detroit: Advisory Council
- Andrea Agnew, VP of Human Resources, Comcast Spotlight
- Pamela Dover, Sr. Director of Business Development, Comcast
- Michelle Gilbert, VP of Public Relations, Comcast Heartland Region
- Maria Holmes, Director of Community Investment, Comcast Heartland Region
NAMIC’s 18 chapters are the heart and soul of the organization and constitute the most accessible opportunity for members to cultivate the relationships and knowledge to leverage career growth. NAMIC chapters are also learning labs for leadership competencies most sought after in the industry. To join, visit http://namic.com/membership/.
NAMIC (National Association for Multi-ethnicity in Communications) is the premier organization focusing on cultural diversity, equity and inclusion in the communications industry. More than 3,500 professionals belong to a network of 18 chapters nationwide. Through initiatives that target leadership development, advocacy and empowerment, NAMIC collaborates with industry partners to grow and nurture a workforce that reflects the cultural richness of the populations served. Please visit www.namic.com for more information about NAMIC and its many opportunities.
SOURCE NAMIC (National Association of Multi-ethnicity in Communications)